You can’t play Fortnite if you can’t open the Epic Games launcher. Unfortunately, this is an issue that many players face and one that is more frustrating than most.
After all, you can’t really tell what’s causing the problem if the application can’t even start. Fortunately, there are some common causes behind this common problem, and solving the problem is usually easier than most assume.
All you need is internet access and administrator-level permissions for your computer if you want to fix the problem and start playing Fortnite again.
- 1 The steps you’ll need to follow
- 2 FAQ’s How to fix epic games launcher won’t open
- 2.1 1. How do I fix fortnite launcher error?
- 2.2 2. Why does it say epic game launcher when it’s not?
- 2.3 3. Is Epic Game Launcher safe?
- 2.4 4. Why is Epic Games not opening?
- 2.5 5. Does uninstalling Epic Games launcher uninstall fortnite?
- 2.6 6. How do you open fortnite without epic game launcher?
- 2.7 8. How do I force open an epic game?
- 3 In Conclusion
The steps you’ll need to follow
Start with the Basics
Before you start with something complex, it’s a good idea to get started with the basics. If you find that an application cannot be opened, check that it is not a problem with your desktop shortcut.
Instead of launching the Epic Games launcher from the usual place, go to your Start Menu and launch the application from there. This is rarely a fix, but it does help you determine if you’re looking at something more important than an error in your shortcuts.
If that doesn’t help, you may have a permissions problem. In that case, make sure you can run a file as an administrator for your account.
If this is the case, solving your problem may be simple by right-clicking the icon and selecting “Run as administrator” from the list of options. This should help you run the program.
Finally, double check that the program is not running in the background. Epic Games does not support two iterations of the launcher running at the same time, so check your Task Manager to make sure nothing is happening in the background.
This is a rare problem for gamers but can cause problems for those trying to get the launcher to work.
If running the program from a new location or as an administrator doesn’t solve your problems, you may be looking for something bigger. As such, you may need to examine how your computer responds to the launcher.
One of the most common culprits here is your firewall, which may prevent the launcher from working with your computer. Go to your antivirus program and check your firewall; If you block the program, make sure you give it permission to run.
If you can’t see if your firewall is blocking the program, try disabling the firewall temporarily and check if the launcher is running.
If your firewall isn’t the problem, it could be the launcher itself. You need to fix the launcher, something that is actually supported by the program itself.
Just go to your control panel and then go to programs followed by programs and features. Once there, right click on the launcher and choose the repair option.
If this works, you should have a new shortcut that will allow you to access the game.
If all else fails, you may need to uninstall the launcher. While this can be problematic in some circumstances, it’s also a brute force solution that allows you to get a clean install of the file once you’re done.
Deleting the file is easy, but be sure to run through the Add/Remove Programs utility to make sure it’s really gone. Once you’ve uninstalled the program, go back to the Epic site and download a fresh copy.
FAQ’s How to fix epic games launcher won’t open
1. How do I fix fortnite launcher error?
PC or Mac Troubleshooting
- Verify your system meets the requirements to run Fortnite. …
- Verify your game files. …
- Run the Epic Games Launcher as an Administrator. …
- Update your video card drivers. …
- Disable background applications. …
- Repair Visual C++ Redistributables. …
- Adjust compatibility mode. …
- Use DirectX 11.
2. Why does it say epic game launcher when it’s not?
This error means that a game you are attempting to play is still running. If you are getting this error, force quit the game or application using your Task Manager.
3. Is Epic Game Launcher safe?
It’s an application for gamers who play games made by Epic Games only. So don’t think of this as a virus. It’s 100% safe and It’s FREE!!
4. Why is Epic Games not opening?
There isn’t a specific answer for why this happens but the most likely case is that applications don’t start properly and all they need is a simple reboot. So, a reboot of the system or the application (in this case, the epic games launcher) fixes the issue. Servers: Epic Games servers can cause this issue as well.
5. Does uninstalling Epic Games launcher uninstall fortnite?
Tip: Is it possible to uninstall Epic Games Launcher without uninstalling Fortnite? Well, the answer is no. Once you uninstall Epic Games Launcher, all the games you download through it will be deleted as well.
6. How do you open fortnite without epic game launcher?
Players will find a file called ‘FortniteClient-Win64-Shipping.exe’ inside and they will simply have to create a desktop shortcut for the application. Fortnite can now be launched from this application without the Epic Games launcher.
8. How do I force open an epic game?
Step to open epic game by forcing:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog. Type control appwiz. …
- Right-click on Epic Games Launcher and select Repair.
- Launch Epic Games Launcher again when Windows completes the repair process.
If the problem persists, you may be looking for a problem with your computer or the ability to run Epic games rather than a problem with the launcher itself.
Unfortunately, there are many issues that can cause the Epic Games launcher to fail. Try all the solutions in this list and note the changes that occur when you try to fix the problem.
The good news is that the vast majority of users report success with at least one of these issues. Once done, you should be able to play Fortnite without any problems.